Friday, June 19, 2009

Why look for a job when you graduate when you could bike across the country instead...

Hello all and welcome! So the title of my blog is a bit misleading... yes I did decide on a trip of this sort because I didn't know what else to do after school ended, but there are a million other reasons that led me to sign up for Bike and Build. One being the fact that I love Habitat for Humanity/building houses. Also biking is an awesome way to see the country side (I mean really there's only so much you can get out of being stuck in a car in traffic on the interstate...) And lastly and most importantly, the issue at hand... affordable housing. I'm sure everyone reading this has noticed increased foreclosure and housing problems locally, maybe the issue touches close to home or maybe you've only witnessed it second hand, but the more I learn about it the more widespread and serious I realize the problem really is. So I may not have gone into the trip with the mindset that I have now, but my dedication to the cause grows daily. For this reason, I must say that I am in awe of the generosity and amount of support that I received in fundraising for this trip and would like to thank each and every one of you for your contribution.

So as for the biking...
I'm not gonna lie, I've been talking about this trip for ages and its only now hit me just how real it is. Orientation started on Wednesday (my birthday!) and in true Jacqui fashion I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off all morning trying to finish packing and buying last minute equipment. But alas, i made it (albeit 3 hrs late) and met the 31 other people that I will be biking across the country with! No worries, my nerves were immediately settled when i got there, cause everyone in our group is really, really cool and super nice/helpful. So I don't need to be told twice when our trip leaders say 'this is going to be the best summer of your life' because I have no doubts.

We had some presentations from former riders about what our typical riding day will look like (lets just say I'm not entirely thrilled for the 3:45 am awakenings which will happen further down the road when we reach the desert), but everything I've heard so far has comforted me and convinced me that I will have no problem making it to Santa Barbara (::knock on wood::). We only took a short shakedown ride yesterday along the coast in Revere to practice riding as a large group, which surprisingly is a lot different than riding alone (how I trained for the most part). In large groups the leaders encourage us to communicate all the time (which inevitably involves lots of yelling) in regards to which direction cars are coming from, potholes or construction, turns, etc... but that kinda works out well for us cause then everyone walking down the street notices us and asks what we're doing. And this is where our awesome bike and build spiel comes in handy... the more we can get the word out the better. I'm not sure, that may have been my indirect way of tell everyone who reads this to TELL THEIR FRIENDS!! but yeah.

So, it wasn't until this morning that we actually departed from Boston on our way to the west coast... although counter-intuitively we did not head southwest out of the city, but rather north to Andover, MA. We started this morning by biking down to the beach in Revere for a quick tire dipping (yes we really do intend to go all the way from coast to coast, Atlantic to Pacific) at which point it started to rain. But that was kind of expected seeing as the weather forecast is rain EVERY DAY for at least the next week... fun fun. That aside we were all still really pumped to get on the road and get some miles under our belts. Our ride today was rather short... okay correction, really short (only 20 some miles), but it took a little longer for me than most. Not because I wasn't up to snuff on my training or slower than the rest of the group or anything like that. It took me and two of the other guys on the trip 3 hrs to get that short distance because one of our fellow riders got not one... not two... but three flat tires on todays ride alone. So it wasn't until the third change that we finally found the puncture in the outside edge of the tire (just a quick explanation for those who don't know, but bike tires have the inner tubing as well as the actual outer rubber tire and changing a flat often involves simply patching or replacing the tubing putting the outer cover back on). So three inner tubings later we finally used a makeshift way of patching the outer tire by placing a folded dollar bill on the inside, then replacing the tubing, then pumping up the tire so it suctions the hole. This method had been mentioned randomly for like 30 sec by one of the leaders during a discussion and it totally worked!!! yea super cool, i think. So we made it! And now the three of us have mad experience when it comes to changing tires!

Tomorrow's our first build day in Lawrence, MA so we're all keeping our fingers crossed that its not down-pouring too much (otherwise it may be canceled). Hope everyone's doing well and staying drier than I am!

Peace!

P.S. I just realized that accessing this through the Bike and Build website doesn't let you see titles/pretty backgrounds/etc... (its not very blog-esque) so if you want to see the actual blog its http://jacquisbiketrip.blogspot.com.

7 comments:

  1. Jaqualita! You rock! I'm exhausted after reading about your adventures and feel like I have three flat tires...Your commitment to issues related to, and helping to create affordable housing inspire me...Pedal Away!
    xoxo Manny

    Hey Jacqui! It's great to be able to read about this amazing trip as you go. I love the dollar bill tire fix... so cool. I have no doubt that this will be one of those summers of a lifetime - with many great stories to tell... It's extra great that an affordable housing mission is central to your ride and will always be a part of the story. You go girl!
    Love, Amey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amey here - again. Just got off the phone with your Grandma. She was intrigued with the idea of your blog. So I read it to her. I told her I would post a comment... she said: "I am thrilled to hear about your trip and I am proud of you! Love, Grandma"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so proud of you, Jacqui! It's great to be able to read your blog and know what's happening - you know your mother, I love all the details! (Plus I get to read other cyclist's blogs to get even more details!) Sounds like there is lots of camaraderie with the riders - I know you'll make some life-long friends on this trip. Your enthusiasm for this adventure is contagious and your dedication to the cause is admirable. Can't wait to hear more! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jacqui! Sounds like you're off to a great start. I think if a 20 mile bike ride already seems "really short" to you then you're truly up for the challenge. What a wonderful experience you're having, and with such a great mission. We're thinking of you here in Brooklyn!
    Love, Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Jacqui. You are right; this is a trip and summer that you will never forget. Soak up the fun and many new experiences while you can, just like your Mom and Dad did when they finished college. We are very proud of you and your dedication to this cause. We will be with you vicariously this summer. Have a great time, and be safe. Love, Uncle Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqui,
    You are moving across the country at a fast pace & I am so impressed with the mission and the overall experience. So I pledge to spread the word about BIKE & BUILD to people I know here in PA. Have a wonderful trip and I look forward to reading more blogs. Ginny Goodall

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jacqueline!
    780 miles already... Wow!
    You are awesome!
    Jacqueline and I are really proud of you.
    We will keep checking on your wonderful progress.
    Love, Chris

    ReplyDelete